Wire insulation also known as conductor insulation or core manufacturing is one of the first steps or building blocks in cable manufacturing.
The insulating material is determined by the operating environment of the insulated conductor and the electrical characteristic requirements. Insulating a conductor ensures that the electrical current cannot deviate from the intended route. It isolates conductors from one another and also outside influences, ensuring that the conductor performs unhampered.
At Custom Designed Cables Ltd, we manufacture insulated conductors in a vast range of materials to suit application specific customer requirements.
- Any conductor insulation requirement is welcomed, large or small production runs – No MOQ
- Standard lead time: 7 – 10 days from receipt of enquiry including initial consultation and discussions
- Wide range of masterbatch colours in stock – Exact colour matching also available
- 0 – 20mm in overall diameter
- We stock a wide variety of conductor sizes ranging from 0.09mm2 (28AWG) up to 120mm2 (4/0 AWG/kcmil).
- Vast cable insulation material stock portfolio – multiple grades of: PP, PE, PVC, PUR/TPU, Hytrel/TPE, TPV, LSOH/LSZH, Nylon PA12, PA/11, XLPE, XLPO
- Capability of manufacturing striped conductors and can offer this service for the complete range of sizes
- Conductor printing for customer specified legends
- Advise on material selection for specified electrical characteristics
CDC Ltd offer a vast range of different materials for wire insulation and utilise state of the art extruding machinery for manufacture.
The material and thickness of the insulation used on a conductor determines the maximum operating voltage of a cable.
Custom Designed Cables Ltd advise on appropriate material selection to determine specific wall thickness requirements to achieve specified electrical characteristics within a cable.
Conductor operating temperatures
The specific material which is used to insulate a conductor determines the temperature profile at which the conductor can operate within safely.
CDC Ltd’s range of insulating materials allow for maximum operating temperature profile of -65oC – 150oC continuous.
Final considerations for an insulated wire
Once the electrical performance characteristics and the operating environment temperature profile have been established, the final considerations for an insulated wire would be the flexibility of the conductor, the mutual capacitance and finally any other environmental operating conditions that the conductor could be subjected to.
At CDC Ltd, we are happy to advise on all of the criteria outlined above to ensure that your conductors perform.